One Month Into Middle School

I can hardly believe it has been one whole month I have been teaching Middle School. I have learned a LOT about myself and my students. I have learned that even though everyone else seems to have given up on these kids, I will not. I have learned that when you raise expectations, although challenging at first, many students will strive to meet them. I have learned that eighth grade is pretty rough on everyone, including teachers! I have learned that taking time to get to know your students makes a tremendous difference. I have taken the time to really connect with some of my kiddos and I have already seen tremendous growth. They are more aware of themselves and their abilities.
        We have started making their High School schedules. First of all, let me say that having to organize 15 students' possible HS Schedules for a first-time teacher and newbie to the district is beyond overwhelming. Thanks to some wonderful senior teachers, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I find it just crazy to think that in 8th grade I am having to ask questions such as what types of careers are you considering or what are your plans post-HS Graduation. Working in college life, has shown me that many college students and even adults have no idea what to answer when asked these questions. But when you are forced to make them because your future depends on it, whew the pressure is on! It is such an exciting time for them and it brings back some pretty great memories from PJHS and my transition to High School.
        I have also learned that it is important to have some pretty tough skin. Our district has a new policy about cell phones not being allowed to be used during class. With 2 warnings (probably more than I should have given) I observed a student using their phone for a third time. I asked for the phone, and after a large battle it was reluctantly given to me. Followed by me being cursed out and told I was the meanest and most unfair teacher ever in front of my entire class. Yelp. Needless to say I had to call the students' parents and they were suspended. I am not cut out for this aspect of middle school. I did not show him my fear, but this is totally not me or my element!
       My students (and I believe 8th graders in general) are SO mean to each other! I know it is petty drama, but GEEZE! They call each other horrible names and throw each other under the bus constantly! I am consistently attempting to promote positivity and awareness of these "bullying" actions, but I fear some of my students just do not seem to care about hurting others. The worst offense is when they call each other the R-Word. For those of you who know me, you know I am rather passionate about NOT using this word. I am contemplating bringing the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign to my school. These kids could really use some good information on it!
       Ultimately, I am grateful for the experiences I have had thus far. I think it is pointing me in the direction that I am cut out for the little ones back at the Elementary School. I am hoping to ride out the next 10ish weeks with my head held high, knowing that the tireless work I am putting into this job will make a small difference in at least one of my students' lives! Cheers to the weekend and being able to sleep in past 6am!

Comments

  1. Make them volunteer with actual autistic kids in the school... My mentor teacher did that with a few kids who could not seem to get that saying that word in her classroom was unacceptable. I've already yelled at a few of my kids for it and they have stopped using it. The kids who volunteered in the Special Ed. classroom ended up loving it and the one is now a Special Education teacher ;).... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment