Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken!

I am not going to lie, I am a sucker for good Chinese food! However, I usually feel pretty unhealthy afterwards. I am not promising that this recipe is healthy, but I think it is healthier then ordering out, so I am going to count that one as a win. Another positive, is I had all of the ingredients at home and had to do no grocery shopping, win #2. The chicken was moist and delicious!

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

Chicken Breading:
-3-5 Chicken Breasts (I used 2 really large ones from Sam's)
-Salt & Pepper
-2 Cups Corn Starch (Start with 1 and add as needed)
-2 Eggs, beaten
-1/3 cup Oil (I use EVOO, but you can use whatever you have)

Rinse and clean the chicken (trim off fat and extras). Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken into eggs and then the cornstarch. (The original recipe called for the reverse, but this is the way I do it). Heat the oil in a large skillet, and add the chicken as you bread it. Cook the chicken until it is browned. Once browned, place the chicken into a pyrex dish.

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
-3/4 cup White Sugar
-4 Tablespoons Ketchup
-1/2 cup White Distilled Vinegar
-1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
-1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt

Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Then pour evenly over the chicken in pyrex dish. Turn the chicken so that the sauce gets on both sides of the chicken.

Bake the chicken at 350* for 15 minutes, then turn the chicken over and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve the chicken with rice or your favorite side dish :)

 
The original recipe can be found here

Comments