DIY Dining Room Set Makeover

One day I got an idea in my head that I wanted to get a new dining room set. The following day I found myself driving up to a family home in a local town and checking out their dining room set. $200 later, I had myself a table with leaf, 6 chairs, a china cabinet and a buffet all made out of cherry wood. The look was fine, but I was looking for something a bit more original. Cue my search for a pinterest project. I originally had planned on using Annie Sloan Chalk paint, but the closest place I could get it was an hour away and I didn't have much time, or patience. However, if you don't want to make it yourself, Annie Sloan chalk paint is the next best thing! I used a combination of General Finishers Gel Stain and Homemade Chalkpaint because they both involved minimal sanding.

Special shoutout to my mom Kathie for working on this project at all hours of the day/night and being so knowledgable and helpful, and for Dustin who trusted me enough and supported me through this long process :) It started out moving quickly, with the table and buffet being finished in a few weeks, then it took a few months with the china cabinet because I was dragging. Overall, the time (probably 60+ hours combined) and money ($300) was completely worth it, considering similar sets sell for around $1,500 - 2000 in stores!  I will explain how/what I did to create this custom set - which I absolutely ADORE!




What I used:
-Furniture (made of any material)
-Chalk Paint
-Polycrylic
-Gel Stain
-Gel Stain Top Coat
-Good Paintbrush
-Old Socks
-Rubber Gloves
-Fabric to reupholster chairs
-Staplegun/Staples
-ScotchGuard for Fabric
-Painter's Tape
-New Hardware (or you can paint your old!)
-Sanding Block


Chairs





I started out by taking the padded seats off of the chairs. Next, I lightly sanded each chair and wiped them clean. Then I painted each chair with 3 coats of chalkpaint. To give the chairs the 'antique look' I used a square fine sanding block and sanded a few corners and sides of the chair. This also has benefitted me in the long run because if the chairs get scratched, it looks natural. After sanding, I used a polycrylic to coat them as a sealant.

We were out searching high and low for fabric for the chairs. My handy husband happened to find 6 couch cushion covers at Ikea for $3 each. I almost wet my pants. $18 for 12 large pieces of just the fabric I was looking for! For similar home fabrics at fabric stores, we were looking at $30-60 a yard! So when reupholstering, think outside the box! After we stapled the cut fabric onto the chairs, Dustin sprayed them with ScotchGuard for Fabric to help it stay clean from stains. We screwed the seats back in and Wa-La!

Table





The table was probably the most simple piece, minus that we first purchased the Gloss General Finishers top coat - way too shiny; and ended up having to sand down and re-stain. First, we disassembled the table and did the chalkpaint bottom half first. Three coats then Polycrylic. Next we used the Antique Walnut Gel Stain by General Finishers to stain the top. The specific directions are below. I used about 4 coats to get the desired color. Then 3 coats of the Satin top coat.

Buffet





The buffet and china cabinet were very similar in their renovation. I took all of the doors/hardware off of the units and painted all of the areas that I wanted to be white with the chalkpaint. Then used the Gel Stain technique to stain the top. I ended up purchasing new pulls for the drawers and cabinets, but had to spraypaint the hinges, because the sizes are uncommon now. I also bought grey felt and re-lined the drawers that were previously lined with grungy green felt.

China Cabinet



The only difference with the China Cabinet was the glass doors. To help with this, I used painter's tape to help make sure I didn't get paint on the glass.


ChalkPaint


I chose to make my own chalkpaint because I was able to pick any color I wanted to. You make the chalky mixture and add it to any Latex paint, so I added it to a grey-ish white that I got to hand pick.

Directions
Mix:
-2 Tablespoons Calcium Carbonate power (you can order this online, or I used pills and crushed/sifter them)
-2 Tablespoons Plaster of Paris Mix (you can get this at any home improvement store)
-2 Tablespoons Water
Then add to
-2 cups Latex Paint





Notes about Chalk Paint:
-Sand lightly and wipe clean the surface of the material you want to paint, brush on, and let dry. You will probably need a few coats.
-You will need to SEAL the chalk paint. I used Minwax Polycrylic Satin because it does not yellow white paint. The recommendation is to use a soft wax, but I was worried about the yearly need for application.

Gel Stain
I found recommendations for this paint on Pinterest, and will never go back. General Finishers Gel Stain comes in a variety of colors and goes on top of practically anything without sanding. You can find it at some hardware stores, or off Amazon!






Directions
-Lightly sand and wipe clean the surface you are staining.
-Place a rubber glove over your hand and cover in a clean sock. Yes sock! Make sure you don't need it back though, because it will be trash.
-Shake up and stir the gel stain.
-Dip your hand into the stain and wipe onto the surface in a thin coat.
-Allow 1 hour to dry between coats, add additional coats to reach desired color.
-Allow 24 hours to dry before sealing. I used General Finishers Satin Topcoat and had an amazing experience. You wipe it on just like the gel stain. Couldn't be easier! :)

Comments