Best Apple Pie Ever

This was our first Thanksgiving in charge of the cooking! We were lucky enough to have my parents, brother, and family friend Al in town to celebrate the day of the bird and attend the PSU Michigan State game. We had a wonderful time! The meal went off without any large hitches. Of course the stuffing was not to my crispy standards, and some dishes got a little cooler than I would have prefered. However, I made an apple pie that was absolutely to DIE for. I have made okay apple pies in the past, but this filling was by far the best one I have ever had.



One of the things I have vivid memories of is my nana setting up her table to the nines for holiday and important dinners. This is something that has become pretty important to me. We use our China way more than once a year, and this year we used her favorite sterling silverware. Even the cloth napkins were in ode to my lovely nana who always used them. I think entertaining is a lost art, but it is something that is near and dear to my heart and I truly enjoy having others around to celebrate everything about life.

Thanksgiving table

Place settings 

Thanksgiving spread

Can't forget the rolls

The group at the PSU Michigan State Game

Now, the recipe I am sure you have been waiting for. I am going to be honest, I have not yet attempted my own pie crust from scratch. So if you have an easy yet delicious one please share! I just think buying 2 crusts for $2.50 is easier and I am sure cheaper than what it would take to make my own. One day I will tackle that challenge. So If you have a stellar pie crust recipe, I would recommend that (or stick with the easy pre-made ones that are tasty too!) I have already made it 2 times since then. Maybe its a pregnancy craving, but I think this pie is just that good!

Ingredients
- 2 Pie Crusts (premade, homemade, or store bought)
- 6 to 8 Granny Smith Apples (if small you need 8, if large 6)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg (a dash)
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 cup Apple Cider (or Apple Juice if cider is out of season)
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cinnamon Sugar for topping




Directions
1. In a saucepan, use a whisk to mix up the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Add the apple cider and lemon juice, and turn the heat onto medium. Continue to whisk the liquid- it may take a few minutes. Very quickly it will thicken up until it becomes bubbly. Remove the sauce from heat and refrigerate.
2. Peel, core, and slice the apples to your liking. Place them in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Uncover and mix the apples. Cover and microwave again for another 2 minutes. Fold in the sauce from the fridge.
3. Place the first crust into a pie pan. Add your filling and spread it evenly throughout the crust. You can either do a lattice design or simply lay the top layer of crust on, just make sure there are slots for steam to escape during the making process. Sprinkle the top layer with cinnamon sugar.
4. Bake the pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Be sure you place a baking sheet or something as large as the dish beneath the pie (as it may leak over the side of the pie dish and stick to the oven). After the 20 minutes, reduce the oven to 350* and leave the pie in the oven for another 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pie to cool for an hour or so, and serve with Vanilla Sugar - YUM!

Initially, the sauce will be very thin, but it thickens up to a thick syrup!

Dicing and coring the apples

Cover the apples with plastic wrap and microwave

The thick sauce, taken out of the fridge

Mixed sauce and apples into the pie crust

Traditional pie crust, I think it was better with the lattice! (and looked fancier)

Here is the original recipe in case you wanted a good crust suggestion. Enjoy!
-Lauren

Comments