Sloppy Joes & homemade Mac & Cheese

As much as I loved my childhood, we had a relatively small menu of which to choose from when it came to dinners. I think if it were up to Dustin, he would live life on 5 meals in rotation. Me however, I would cook a different thing every day for about 3 months then circle back. One thing I distinctly remember about growing up was for Youth Group every Sunday parents would being in food for us (or if we were lucky we got to order pizza!) But I do remember loving these things called Sloppy Joes. My mom is not a huge fan of sloppy joes/tacos, so whenever we had them at Youth group I always ate a few! My MIL Lisa has a wonderful homemade recipe for Sloppy Joes. It is a huge upgrade from the Manwich cans (not dogging those- sometimes time is of the essence), but I really enjoy making these. I also often serve them with homemade mac & cheese- so here are the recipes!

Sloppy Joes
(Serves 8-10, I usually half the recipe)

Ingredients
-2 pounds Ground meat (I prefer Turkey but you could also use beef!)
-1-1.5 cups Diced Onion & Green Pepper
-Dash of pepper
-1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt

Sauce
-16 oz. Tomato Sauce
-2 tablespoons Open Pit BBQ Sauce
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-2 teaspoons of sugar
-1 teaspoon Chili Powder
-1/4 cup Ketchup






Directions
1. Brown the meat with the onion/green pepper and season with pepper and salt.
2. Drain the grease and add in all of the sauce ingredients.
3. Let the meat simmer in sauce for at least 30 minutes before eating!
4. Serve on hamburger or slider buns, Dustin likes his with cheese :)





Mac & Cheese
(Serves 4-5)



Ingredients
-2 cups Elbow Mac (I prefer whole wheat but total preference!)
-3/4 cup cubed Velveeta cheese (12 oz.)
-2 slices American cheese
-1/4 cup butter
-1/3 -1/2 cup milk depending on how soupy you like your pasta
-Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions
1. Boil pasta until it is al dente and drain.
2. Mix in cheese, butter, milk, and seasonings
3. Stir for about 10 minutes until all cheeses are melted in well & enjoy!

Comments